Storyweb
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storyweb

Storyweb is a place where writers can gather and spread their art!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Edgeworld (OOC)

Go down 
+6
Glict
Whitefire
ViperaUnion
Celo the Impossible
The Stalker of Shadows
Sairei
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 5:11 pm

EDGEWORLD

People milled about in the streets, looking for a comfortable place to stand. The lucky ones had a bench to sit on. Most were not so fortunate, and stood in line waiting for the local housing department office to open. The trivision screen, a projection that spanned thirty feet across and hung over the city square like some sort of enormous insect, flickered on automatically and a cheery voice narrated the commercial.

...[Loading: Propaganda.advert.edgeworld.file34]...

“Population is on the rise! Overcrowding threatens to spread disease! Fights break out in the city streets! As we all know, terraforming is expensive and takes time that we no longer have! What solutions do we have?”

There was a long dramatic pause as the music built up.

“Edgeworld!” gasped the narrator, as the advertisement showed clips from the initial survey of the alternate Earth. A shockingly beautiful sunset rising over floating mountains panned into view. Edgeworld was a fascinating place, both scientifically and to the common person. It consisted of enormous floating continents held suspended in the air by some force unknown to human science. A molten core was visible thousands of miles below, prompting some acrophobia in even the most level-headed people. The air was pristine and clear, showing beautiful alien stars by night and the pink-tinted sun by day. The gravity was lower, which made for easy exploration. Even so, scientists had plans to install artificial gravity within the city walls, and stabilizers to prevent collisions between floating islands.

“How is this possible?! By the amazing insight and intelligence of our Earth’s finest scientists! Through our very own Dimension Gate, the heroic Doctor Weldon Edge, (the discoverer of Edgeworld) has led a science team through the Gate and found Edgeworld to be the perfect solution to our little Earth’s problem!”

Here the narrator lapsed into the uninteresting physics behind the Gate, and behind Edgeworld itself. The citizens in the square might have been more interested if the advertisement had not played hundreds of times in their lives already, and had they been scientists themselves. Letting the ad drone on in the background only added more pressure to their already monotonous lives. It was the last line of the advertisement that caught the citizen’s attention and filled them with a longing that would not be denied.

“…Want some elbow room? Come to Edgeworld, where the gravity is light and the space is wide!”

The city of Telosis held the Gate. When the Gate failed, stranding thousands of people on Edgeworld, panic broke out. The Governor assured everyone that the engineers on both sides were surely trying to solve the problem and would have a solution soon. This assurance worked, for a little while, until years passed and the Gate remained silent and empty.

“Sarah,” a voice called, snagging a young girl’s attention. She sat in the back of the classroom, gazing out the window and very much distracted by the flock of winged deer that played around in the distance. She looked up at her teacher sheepishly. The teacher frowned back at her, and continued on with the history lesson. “As you all know,” the teacher droned on, “Earth is our homeworld, and we have been stranded here for twenty long years.”

“Stranded,” Sara scoffed silently to herself. She had never known Earth. She had been born on Edgeworld, a mere four years after the Gate had fallen. Her parents had told her they’d come for a better life. They’d barely been able to afford it, but Sarah’s mother had admitted she did not want to raise a child in the tiny confines that had been their home on Earth. As for the Gate, they did miss the luxuries that were no longer a part of daily life, such as automated cooking and easy-access information, but life on Edgeworld seemed so bright in comparison with the dull gray of the machines. “I never want to go to Earth,” Sarah concluded to herself.

When class ended, Sarah raced home in leaps and bounds. The gravity here, she had been told, was like that of another planet she cared not to visit: Mars. (Edgeworld’s was in fact a 3.8 m/s^2) Sarah did not remember the times when there had been ‘normal’ gravity within the city walls. She had been too young. Because of this, she could not imagine walking in any other way.

As Sarah ‘walked,’ she passed a section of the city wall where there had been a breach. Slowing down, she paused to eavesdrop on the guards stationed around the hole. Of course she knew what had caused it, but she was curious as to what the guards knew.

“If we had our weaponry working,” one guard said to another, “we could blast those beasts right out of the sky before they could blast us.”

“Maybe,” replied the other guard. He seemed unsure about this course of action. “It didn’t actually hurt anyone…It poked its head through the hole and left.”

Well, that was interesting. Sarah smiled to herself, resuming her chosen gait for the duration of her walk home. Dragons…They weren’t exactly the dragons from storybook and legend, but it was what the people of Edgeworld had taken to calling them. Sarah liked the critters, and found their mode of travel graceful. Flight was beautiful.

She also found the draconic conversation to be most fascinating.

Aha. Welcome friends, to Edgeworld. I have had this entire world cooked up for over a year now, and perhaps now is the time to finally share it with all of you. As you can tell, this is somewhat of a sci-fi roleplay, but I’ve never been one for the ‘scientific’ part of sci-fi. So in short, don’t narrow your focus on what is scientifically possible; focus on what is scientifically fun.

Plotline

After we get basic introductions sorted out IC-wise, I will be introducing an element that should start up some storyline on behalf of the RPers. If there is a side-story that you would like your characters to experience, please PM me about it and I’ll see what I can do.
Anyway, what should you expect?
Obviously the Gate is going to be a huge part of this RP, which may revolve around those who want it fixed and those who do not. It’s up to you to pick a side.

Characters
So. There are different character types in this roleplay. I’m allowing up to two characters per each RPer, but I may make an exception if I see fit for more.

Humans: Obviously there are humans in this RP, which is unusual considering I’m writing this. I hate human RPs. XD Anyway, there’s two ‘types’ of humans.
There are the Pro Earth people, who dislike Edgeworld and want to return to Earth to be back in the realm of modern comforts. The extremists want to fix the Gate and return home, and hopefully shut down Edgeworld completely.
There are the Edgeworldians, who were either born here or like it better than Earth. The extremists will try to stop the Pro Earthans from fixing the Gate, and may use deadly force.

Dragons:
So yes, there are dragons in this RP. If you didn’t see that coming, you don’t know me well enough. At any rate, the ‘dragons’ are broken into groups too, which may be a bit more complicated than the human ‘factions.’

First up, there are two or so types of dragons. We have the large, many-winged kind that rarely land and are fairly even-tempered. These I have elected to call the Amica. The Amica have the curious ability to absorb light at an extremely fast pace, and expel it as an energy that can and will burn things on contact. This however cannot be done indefinitely, and it does take a few minutes to charge between ‘shots.’ Also this ability is nulled by darkness. On average, an Amica is anywhere between 40 to 60 feet in length, and have up to six sets of wings. Their largest set of wings have up to a 55 foot wingspan. Amica also tend to be mellow, pastel colors.

Their smaller, darker, and much grouchier cousins are called the Inva. These types may actually possess a set of legs, and they are for the most part, nocturnal. (They also don’t have as many wings as the Amica, usually stopping at three or four sets). They dwell in caves, as the floating continents are riddled with enormous cave systems fit for any dragon. The Inva do not have the same light-bending abilities as the Amica, but they do have a rather caustic venom that will eat through a wide variety of materials. Inva are on average, 15 to 30 feet long, with a primary wingspan of 32 feet.

To further complicate things, the dragons may have chosen sides as well. Those who communicate with the humans may have found them to be downright likable, or dirty insects that must be wiped off the face of Edgeworld. Those who haven’t communicated with humans may be influenced by those who have. So you have the Pro Human group and the Anti-Human group.

Setting
Alright so if you hadn’t guessed already, this RP DOES take place on Edgeworld 20 years after the failure of the Gate. That being said, if you wish to have a character that is able to speak with the dragons, they would need to be 20 years of age or lower. They had to have been born on Edgeworld. The reverse rule applies for anyone who isn’t able to speak with dragons.
Telosis is our main city. While there are other cities that are reachable by zeppelin or by dragon, I’m not sure we will be visiting them in the duration of the RP unless something unforeseen happens. That may very well be the case, which I don’t mind at all.
The city is divided into two parts. There’s the rich district, where the Governer lives. He has all the remaining technology locked up so it doesn’t get misused. Then there’s the rest of the city, which functions as a middle-class would.

Would anyone like me to draw a map?

Rules:
1. No Mary-Suing, godmodding, metagaming, powerplaying, auto-hitting, etc. If you have to ask if it is okay, it is probably not okay. Even so, if you have permission from the character’s owner I don’t mind as long as you alert me.
2. What I say goes. Don’t argue with me, as it will make me cry.
3. Don’t stall the IC. Patience is a virtue that I don’t have. Very Happy This is supposed to be a rather casual RP, so don’t feel pressured to post, but do make sure you put something in so I know you’re still alive.
4. No bad language or sexual activities. Basic forum rules.
5. Blood/violence is okay by me as long as you don’t go into extreme detail.
6. Don’t eat the IC. While I’m sure whatever your post is about is fascinating, I don’t want to read five pages of how pretty the flowers are.
7. Read everyone’s posts. You don’t want to look stupid when you don’t know what’s going on, do you?
8. As mentioned before, only two characters are allowed per person right now. I may make exceptions to this rule later. Make sure your characters are interacting with the other characters as well, and please try not to split the group, as keeping up with two storylines is exhausting.
9. No flame wars on the OOC. If you have questions go ahead and post them, but please be civil. You don’t want to make me cry do you? I’d rather not get cussed out on my own OOC again.
10. Be creative! Be original! Don’t be cliché! In this sense, this is a LITERATE RP. Please post at least a paragraph.
11. Do not kill anyone’s character unless you have permission from that character’s owner.
12. Read these rules. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you read the rules put ‘pasta’ in the Other section of your character sheet.
13. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ADD OR SUBTRACT FROM THE RULES AT ANY TIME, SHOULD SOMETHING COME UP THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

Character Sheet
Name:
Age: (the age you pick if human will determine if you can speak to dragons. Dragons cannot be more than 300 years old.)
Race: (Dragon or human?)
Ethnicity: (If dragon, are they Amica or Inva?)
Faction: (Edgeworldian, Pro-Earth/Pro-Human, Anti-Human)
Appearance: (Be descriptive. This includes what your character wears in a given situation)
Height: (dragons range between six to fifteen feet in height, but it all depends on how they’re standing.)
Personality: (Be descriptive here too, and please give reasons for why they are the way they are.)
Skills: (Is your character good at anything? Is he/she a pilot or a talented runner?)
Other: (Anything else you wish me to know about your character)

Any questions?

Last edited by Sairei on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://safyr3.deviantart.com/
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 pm

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS

Humans

Sairei
Sarah Silver:
Jack Taylor, the Governor:
Zayne Dandridge:

ThePrussianCompy
Isaac Robin:

Whitefire
Vitaly Zakharovich Ankudinov:

Dragons

Sairei
Lykuran:
Mireth:
Silauze:

Whitefire
Kirauk Sorahn Mar:

ViperaUnion
Gorsedd:

Angelwolf99
Kyrath:

Last edited by Sairei on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Reserved.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty

Aaand reserved just in case.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Location : That one place. you know where it is. Stop by and say hi!

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 pm

This looks like it'll be fun. I might join this. I do enjoy a really good SciFi story. This sounds like something I'd read by Clark or Asimov. It's origonal. I'll look at getting in a sheet tonight or tomarrow night.

My main issue would be there are days when I might not be able to post. Sometimes two or three in a row. My life is hectic sometimes. And no telling when my Step-mom might go nutzo on me and turn of the internet for whatever reason. She does that on a fairly regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:40 pm

That's okay. I don't plan on this going too quickly anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Well good. I'm not joking about my step mom sadly. I use to think she was a control freak, but now she's worse.

Anyways I'm actually working on my Sheet right now. I'm trying to come up with a good name right now. Already decided on the faction and general personality.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Ok, cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I talked to prussain a bit in the chat box and he said he was making a sheet too.
Back to top Go down
Celo the Impossible

Celo the Impossible

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Looks great Very Happy I'm up for joining
Buuuut I'll wait for ther sheets before working on any, myself, so I can get the basic idea on what to do
Back to top Go down
http://celo99.deviantart.com
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 10:02 pm

I'll work on a sheet, although I would really like more information about the dragons, because if I can only make two characters, one will be a human and the other will be a dragon. I want to know what average sizes are, and such.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Right now I'm only working on a human. I've never been good at playing none human characters. The one I'm making right now is for keeping th gate closed. I might make a pro-earth character later.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 10:49 pm

ViperaUnion wrote:
I'll work on a sheet, although I would really like more information about the dragons, because if I can only make two characters, one will be a human and the other will be a dragon. I want to know what average sizes are, and such.

I wrote that down and then completely forgot to put it in the post.
Whoops. Lemme go edit that in.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Hey what kind of tecknology can they still use?I mean what wasn't locked away. I need to know for my character.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Laser pistols are easy to get ahold of, but things become a little iffy when it comes to charging them up again when they run out of power. No one is technically supposed to have one unless they're part of the guard, buuut...

Basically if it's not attached to the wall and could be in your pocket, it probably still works and hasn't been confiscated. Gadgets like grappling gear, watches, personal entertainment devices. There's a few solar stations that are available for powering up little devices like that, but they aren't too efficient or designed to run the city. Using them is a privilege most citizens don't have, so technology is coveted.

The LARGEST thing that still works on Edgeworld are personal fliers, (they're rather like fancy hang-gliders that don't just glide, and you wear them like a suit) and those take days to recharge once they run out of juice.

What WOULD be confiscated is something like a hoverplane, bombs, large generator-powered things like that. Things that would be really handy in an emergency and either need a way to be charged or need to be fixed, so the Governor isn't allowing people to just use them willy-nilly.

Does that help?
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:30 pm

So what about in terms of computers and the like? I tend to make tech focused characters so I'm trying to get an idea of what were allowed to use.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Schools would have computers, and maybe rich families, but not your average citizen.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 1:43 am

Thank you. That's what I needed to know. With luck I'll have my sheet up tomorrow afternoon or evening.
Back to top Go down
Whitefire

Whitefire

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am

*quickly works on character information*

I've already drawn him, so......yeh.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 am

Would it be helpful if I drew a basic picture of what the dragons look like?

I might just do that anyway but it'd be nice to know if it actually helped.
Back to top Go down
Whitefire

Whitefire

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 1:00 pm

So hey where do we put up the info?

*sneaks in and shoves info here*

(tell me if i need to expand more)

Name: Kirauk Sorahn Mar
Race: dragon
Ethnicity: Inva
Faction: Pro-Human (well, he tolerates them)
Appearance: He is a dark, earthy brown, with darker brown points, which includes his legs, tail, face, the ridge along his back, and his wings. Black claws. Yellow eyes. Two sets of wings. He keeps his wings tucked closely to his sides most of the time. He seems to have a perpetual frown, but when he smiles its quite pleasant. When he uses his wings, he usually has to shake off dried mud and dirt from them as he stretches them out after leaving them unused for long periods of time (this being because he spends his time in caves/underground).
Height: 15 feet (30 feet long)
Personality: He is fairly grouchy and snappy most of the time, finding the people to have invaded his world annoying, but also finding them tolerable….they haven’t done anything yet to have made him feel the need to eat anyone. He looks intimidating, but he’s quite gentle and patient in his own irritated and bad tempered way. He finds it annoying when someone won’t shut up, and he doesn't talk much unless he thinks it’s important. He finds joy in ticking other dragons and people off though, because he knows he's intimidating enough and large enough to get away with it (he may apologize afterward). He doesn't like jerk-faces or anyone who thinks they can tell him what to do.
Skills: Strategic thinker. He may have patience, but when it comes to fighting, he loses all of it. He isn't vicious fighter, and he likes to use strategy instead of brute force.
Other: PASTA

Last edited by Whitefire on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Accepted.
Back to top Go down
The Stalker of Shadows

The Stalker of Shadows

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

I feel pasta shall become a joke here from hence forth.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 pm

I think my pasta joke had been around for three years or so, and this is the first you're hearing about it.
xD This will be fun.

Gimme some pasta yo.
Back to top Go down
Glict

Glict

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 10:34 pm

*first thing that popped into my mind when I realized that there were dragons in this roleplay*

Edgeworld (OOC) 31a2e910b0e99d00a881da81b2254912142f8b5bb4c9f113e7944662bd760c91
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edgeworld (OOC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edgeworld (OOC)   Edgeworld (OOC) Empty

Back to top Go down

Edgeworld (OOC)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next